Monday 4 July 2022

KinnPorsche The Series, The Highest Bar of Thai BL Series Ever

Hi!

Even though I'd like to have a BL milestone throughout the year, I feel this one deserves a post alone. If you're fujoshi or a BL fan, this series is a must-watch.

Honestly, I followed this since the cast introduction but I didn't really pay attention since I didn't want to get my hope up. You know, some of Thai BLs could end up bad so I used to lower my expectation. BUT THIS, you could even put it as high as you could since to the very end, it's legit. The first trailer (the pre production version) was even quite different than the final cut, but again, it's way better. There were many up and down for the series to be finally released, but it's all worth it now.

This is a masterpiece.

Of all Thai BLs that I've watched, I couldn't remember which series that could be in par in terms of quality. Let's say about cinematography, plot, acting, and even music. Oh my God, I just loved the series very much and I'd like to express a highest appreciation for the whole team.

Anyway, even though this was posted as "recommendation" and I do recommend you all to watch this series immediately, I wanted to warn you on some spoilers on this post since I personally post this as a journal of my journey with the series too. So, be prepared!

Now let's take a look at the poster.

What a nice view, right? So... Here I present you....

Kinn Porsche The Series: La Forte!

It's 21+ rated and you can watch the uncut version on iQiyi. Broadcasted every Sunday 12.00 AM and I followed each episode since the first release so far and it's been a hell of a roller coaster ride. I lived in agony for 3 months already but still, I loved it very much. It's a mafia themed story and it's about a relationship between the head of mafia, Kinn Anakinn Theerapanyakul who was the 2nd son of the Major Mafia Family and his newly bodyguard, Porsche Pachara Kittisawad. The series was based on a novel with the same title. Every week whenever the episode was released, it became the hottest topic on Twitter. There's no way for a BL enthusiast to skip this moment, really.

I noticed the fandom was growing over time. Since it's released later during the release of Cutie Pie series, they were being compared. But hey, I also anticipated Cutie Pie series since the first trailer, but after the pilot episode I dropped it right away. It turned out to be a kind of BL series I tend to avoid, with unnecessary fluff and cheesy scenes everywhere, i.e how they faced each other too close like they were about to kiss but it's just them talking to each other. There were also messy plot and poor acting problem that would make you irritated. I sometimes wondered, did they think we as fujoshis would just accept anything and get hype about it as long as a guy was with another guy? Well, maybe yes if they're hot or good looking enough but there's a matter of preference too. So why don't you just put a little more effort to cast a skilled actor, create a decent plot and hire a competent director?

And now I finally have the easiest way to suggest. Why don't you just look at what they do in KinnPorsche?

When I watched the pilot episode of KinnPorsche, I was quite surprised. Here's why.

On the pilot episode, they built the plot quite fast and it's good enough to make it a first base. They portrayed the mafia background in an elegant way and introduced the conflict right away. There was even a fight scene between Kinn and Porsche in a cruise ship and it's fascinating! I loved how they really put a great effort on the setting and every detail in the shot. I must be exaggerating to crown them as a first class quality, but I never saw anything like this on BL genre especially for Thailand series.

There, I also present you the gem of the series, Tankhun, the first son of Theerapanyakul family. He's an eccentric guy and the clown of the series. It's now so balanced, a nerve-wrecking mafia world with comical act inserted too. Tong, the actor played as Tankhun kind of acting was also just right, a manic but sometimes he became the most rational person in the room. He's annoyingly funny and whenever he's appeared, I was so thrilled.  


Then, boom! The first kiss just happened on Episode 3. It's shocking but it's just right. I felt everything was happened too quick, so the anxiety just hitted me. Once again, the series title was clearly telling you what this was all about and I was really fine about it. But I was wondering if the ship was just sailed, what about the rest of episode?

On Episode 4, everything started to crumble, the conflict was building up and it's just getting way too intense. On the above pic, I just wanted to show and appreciate the suit Porsche wore and also the view. It reminded me of "Boss and Me" or "Mr. Billionaire" kind of romance trope, but hey, it's BL so there's no cheesy line I hated. I've never felt so blessed watching a thai BL like this, it's like the whole concept was so mature and refreshing and I was sure of one thing, they had a massive budget and thankfully it's all worth it.


Ah... the Episode 5, one of the most depressing time we had. So, the first NC scene happened on the previous episode and after that we could see how Porsche was being different and hurt.

I must say that I was interested in the series because of Mile, the one who played as Kinn. He had a typical Thai look that caught my attention easy. He acted well and even gave a richy boss vibe. On the other hand, I was somehow a little bit irritated at Apo acting on Episode 1-2, like something was kinda off. But on the latter Episode, I realized that I was wrong. He played the Porsche part so well so realistic until I couldn't tear them apart. That's what Porsche supposed to be, someone who always put a fake smile just to protect himself and people he loved, someone who constantly pretending to be strong while on the other hand he was just a fragile soul who was unknown to love. So I just then became Porsche's protector. I was hurt to see how he was falling apart on this Episode and I cursed Kinn too much.

I really hated Kinn when I realized that he was to blame for dragging Porsche to his world and made all the hardship he didn't deserve.



Episode 6 was the masterpiece. When I was wondering how they would end up together, this just happened. This was the answer to every question you ever had before. You would get to see how they really were if they were nothing but their souls, their true faces. The plot developed beautifully and it's so heartwarming. I shed my tears for the first time on this Episode.

After all the drama happened on the mafia world, I wondered what moment would make them together. Logically, there must be a strong reason enough for them to be soulmates, not a lust or a mere fondness. And this was their answer.

In here, you would see how they just loved each other too much until they would give their lives to each other. It all made sense yet it's so heart-breaking.

A little note, the kiss scene was also the exact moment I couldn't set my eyes off of Apo's waist though.

I began to have a conflict with my own self on why Kinn deserved to have Porsche to his side. Porsche was like the answer to all his prayer. For being forced to be the head of mafia family and living a life he never wanted to live, he needed someone to make him sane and human. If Porsche wanted to be with him, then I as his protector should give my blessing.

After the Episode 6, the agency even held a fan-screening event for Episode 7 and there was even a side story that occurred after what happened on Episode 6. It was also the moment that I recognized myself to head over heels for them and I must root for them. They even gave me courage to wake up every morning and start my days happier than ever. A little strange but I saw some tweets told the same thing like there's magic after watching the Episode.

Well, I said already that I gave my blessing to both of them. But then on Episode 7 at the last scene, I was getting angrier than after Episode 5. I knew Kinn was quite unstable BUT how could he hurt Porsche, slap him then provoked him??? It's way more depressing and I once again cursed at Kinn once again. My other self told thousand reasons why Porsche should leave from the start.

Well, even though I was upset with the last scene of Episode 7, it ended well and quick. Episode 8 gave us the honeymoon phase and all the fluff. It's almost impossible to imagine for a mafia themed series to get a normal date moment, but they did it and it's beautifully shot in front of the temple at night. I was amazed the effort they put to create the perfect shot in beautiful color and shades and it's applied to all scenes.

 

The kissing scene here was also too beautiful, don't you think? Look at them just being drunk in love and addicted to each other...

And this scene was my favorite of all fluff in this Episode! This looked like a domesticated gay couple routine, when they both made merit at morning, one was seriously doing it while the other wasn't even taking care of what they did but only has his eyes on his partner.

 

Well, Episode 8 was truly "a calm before the storm". On Episode 9, Kinn's Ex, Tawan just appeared out of nowhere. Since I dropped the book already and decided to watch the series only, I didn't really have any clue about the original plot. But they said, this Arc was tough so I was getting anxious. So, anything that happened to Porsche would piss me off and on this Episode, he was getting jealous like a child. But I must say, Tawan was a hottie though, like when the above picture was taken, you could catch a glimpse on Kinn's type look like, no?

And yes, Episode 9 was getting another conflict, Porsche was accused of being the tyrant and arrested, but it's more depressing when this guy appeared instead of Kinn,

Vegas! It's Vegas, the son of Minor Family. I had a conflicted and even twisted feeling to this person. All I knew from whoever read the book, he's psychotic and malicious but on the series, he didn't look that bad. In short, I sort of liked him too. But I knew also that Vegas would be with Pete and the Arc didn't look very nice. So I sort of ghost-shipped Porsche with Vegas, even though they said Vegas didn't care for Porsche wholeheartedly. But as long as he didn't really hurt my baby Porsche so bad, I was fine with everything...

So, after Episode 9, all the chaos and the anxiety was reaching to the maximum level, they announced something shocking,

The World Tour 2022.

You know, it's a really big problem. First, they said it's a "World Tour", which meant it wouldn't be held in Thailand only. Secondly, there was a big hope that Indonesia should be on the list of tour since we always made the hashtag #1 here. But lastly, if they really wanted to come here, wouldn't there be a backlash, considering our conservative society especially with LGBTQ+ issue?

Then I said to myself, if it's impossible here, Singapore might be the solution. There was also a World Press after that which I thought they would announce the country list. But hey, what did you expect of them? Did you think it's that easy to hold a world concert? I believed this was not planned long before too. They wouldn't expect the crowd would be this massive, but you need to have a talk with the organizer around the world and it's a lot of work. Apparently the presscon was held privately, strangely. There's not even any information about the list of country added. So I thought if I waited for it to happen in another country, it wouldn't be around mid year to even Q3 2022.

Oh, yes, I wanted to attend the concert. It was a kind of farewell party with them who beautified my slice of life, at least for 3 months long. I personally didn't want to see another season of KinnPorsche. I was too afraid to get disappointed and I just wanted only good memories left even though it's short. But I already had another plan to visit Bangkok to attend another concert, not this one.


I must say that Episode 10 was the most intense of all. Seeing this scene really broke my heart. Tawan really took the plot to worse, that's why he deserved to die (oops... spoiler...). There were a lot of guns involved and the scenes were just getting annoying. Moreover, Pete finally got caught by Vegas, which was the start of their arc and I was getting more anxious because of them.

I kinda hope I would like the series lesser to the finale, or it would end up bad so that I didn't need to attend the concert or at least I didn't get crazier than this.

At the day of ticket selling, I didn't wish to get one too though but I just tried my luck. It's so depressing. Thaiticketmajor was a headache, of course it's sold out immediately.

It's 10.00 AM and it's sold out in around 30 minutes, but it was due to the bad server and web traffic or it would be less than that. Around noon, they announced something that bothered me once again.

 

Another date was added, so it's 2 days concert. The war started at 04.00 PM and unlike the first war, this time I had the feeling and I decided to join the war. Thaiticketmajor stressed me again with their bad server and stuff, they didn't even try. I was stuck for about 1 hour to pick any seat left until...


  

I finally got it! So all of my plans are ruined, I canceled August trip and moved it to July. I organized everything immediately after that. It seemed like a dream to me, last night I told myself to just sleep and patiently waited for another country instead, but here I was, entirely controlled by my impulsivity.

The moment I knew I would see them live, the anxiety was getting out of hand. There were many Episodes left and who would know if it would go bad or worse? What if I ended up hating them? What if my wish had come true?


But look at them on Episode 11, how could I love them less?

There's also another character that I set my eyes on from the start. It's Tay that was played by Us. He and his parter were Kinn only friends (in the series, dunno about the book) and he was such a beau but he was more like an extra throughout the series. 
 
Starting from Episode 10, the Vegas-Pete story was quite dark and raw, but going to Episode 11, it was way beyond my expectation.

I.
LOVED.
IT.

I liked how the plot went through. It's a lot easier to absorb rather than what the reader told me. It's a lot better than I ever predicted too by the way. I already prepared for the worst when they put a trigger warning like BDSM, rape, and even stockholm syndrome.


But WOW. Just wow. Episode 12 gave me a chill especially for Vegas-Pete. Both Bible and Build successfully portrayed everything brilliantly through their acting. I loved it. I loved every part of their story progressed so far.

And this was my favorite part. I was just speechless. I could understand how conflicted Pete's feeling here. It was so breathtaking yet painful. And another thing, I didn't care of anything anymore and I wanted to tell the world that I was so in love with Vegas. I didn't care what he would do on the finale, but this series version of Vegas was someone I should root for other than Porsche and Tankhun (and P' Chan btw).

Well, that's it! There's only 1 Episode left for KinnPorsche and overall it's 9.5/10 from me. The remaining 0.25 was for the original plot. Honestly I didn't like how the arc moved to one another but the series really made it a masterpiece. It's not my kind of story I ever enjoyed but they could force me to end up loving it. Another 0.5 was also saved for the finale, in case it would end up as a disappointment.

But please just have a try on this one. If you're into quality content, this would be your answer to fill the void in your life.

Stay safe, stay classy,

S.