Monday 3 February 2020

[Recommendation] Heaven Official's Blessing: When Love is Invented and Described as Their Own (And I Don't Have Objection At All)

Welcome to my life.

This time I will happily and willingly recommend you a title that changed my life, entirely. So, I confided what happened to myself in the past year. Well, not my whole life but a major part of my life. Right, being a Fujoshi. And nowadays, being one of them is absolutely my middle name. I am immersed too deeply in this world.

And this title is actually the most and recently finished book that I read. This is actually a popular title, considering that now there will be adapted donghua (animation) and ongoing manhua of it. The fandom is also very huge. Trust me, even if you are finished reading the book already, the fandom will shower you many things to satisfy your thirst.

Long story short, this is another Mo Xiang Tong Xiu novel, the author of the renowned Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation novel (or Mo Dao Zu Shi), which "The Untamed" Chinese Drama is adapted from. I fell in love with the drama first actually then decided to read the book instead. Hell yeah, the book was an eye opener to me, that lead me to discover the fandom of both novel and the drama. From that, I got to know there are other novels by MXTX author, then I decided to read them also.

Even before I decided to read it, I had a hunch that I would love it so much, and I was right. I fell in love way too deeply with this title, even comparing to previous one (MDZS) that introduced me to this kind of world.

So, let's start talking about this one.

The title is Heaven Official's Blessing, 天官赐福 (Tiān Guān Cì Fú). I will start to shorten it as TGCF instead, okay?

Cited from NovelUpdates (this is my recent visited websites), here is the summary:

Eight hundred years ago, Xie Lian was the Crown Prince of the Xian Le kingdom. He was loved by his citizens and was considered the darling of the world. He ascended to the Heavens at a young age; however, due to unfortunate circumstances, was quickly banished back to the mortal realm. Years later, he ascends again–only to be banished again a few minutes after his ascension.

Now, eight hundred years later, Xie Lian ascends to the Heavens for the third time as the laughing stock among all three realms. On his first task as a god thrice ascended, he meets a mysterious demon who rules the ghosts and terrifies the Heavens, yet, unbeknownst to Xie Lian, this demon king has been paying attention to him for a very, very long time.

Honestly, I reread the summary for countless time and didn't understand a thing at first. Since I was new to this Wuxia-Xianxia novels before and totally blank for this kind of fiction, I was never interested when reading the summary. The same goes for MDZS. But luckily I still decided to try reading it first, or else, I might regret in my whole life to skip such a greatest story of all time.

And so for a new-starter, there are some basic thing that maybe you have to know before entering this kind of world,

1. Please familiarize yourself to Cultivation world first.

As a non-Chinese or someone that have no knowledge about cultivation world, it will confuse you about the basic term or the plot line. I am also not a master of this and still trying to understand the whole situation.

I am thankful enough to start learning it from watching The Untamed and MDZS donghua so I could portray and illustrate in my mind when reading the novel after. Well, how can I imagine when it tells that they are riding their sword... Like how can that happen? My past self could not even imagine how ridiculous it was (before).

But MDZS is a Wuxia novel, and TGCF is a Xianxia novel. Please... Please look for the differences by yourself. In my honest opinion, I am doing a nice approach, to start with Wuxia (martial art) then proceed to Xianxia (more about immortality, like the next step of Wuxia).

TGCF is telling about the 3 realms, Heavenly Realm, Human Realm, and Demon Realm. Please put your understanding of this kind of fiction. Even after understanding the Wuxia world, I was still struggling while being amazed with this Xianxia world. So my understanding is, there are two kind of person, a normal person (like all of us) and cultivator person, who studies cultivation in order to gain immortality. And then if you are worthy enough after gaining immortality, you will be likely to ascend as Heavenly God. Then, if a person died horribly with deep hatred, he/she can become a ghost/demon. What a whole new world (at least to me).

2. There will be many new terms that you may need to take notes.

I told you, like Dianxia, Shidi, Shixiong, Shijie, Shizun, and so on. But usually the translator will put the meaning first before use it as its original word later. But then, once you are familiar with the term, you can't help but saying those words as if it is your own language.

3. The list of characters are lining up, memorize it precisely.

This is also the great pain in the ass. The name of persons will be too many for you to memorize, for start. Usually I saved the list of characters (like a cheat sheet) and took a peek before I memorized them all. Moreover, a person can bear at least two names, the birth name and the courtesy name. To make it more complicated, even TGCF added one more name, the name of their palace (if they are Heavenly Gods, they have each palace/temple) and usually called by them. So at least three for each. 

(Maybe that explained why I don't remember anything at all these days other than TGCF?)

Wow so many words already and I don't even start to review it? Okay, I will start then.

But let me put my favorite scene part from the donghua trailer first here,
(I like the horryfing atmosphere around but the main couple just appeared in the middle of it, calmly walked and closely together, like hell they care but each other)


In my very honest opinion, I will give TGCF 10/10 for every aspect. Or even there is any higher meter provided, TGCF will always be the maximum of it.

10/10 for Plotline/Story

In my own description, and in very simple way, the story revolved around the lives of Crown Prince of Xian Le Kingdom, Xie Lian and his 3 times ascension to become Martial God. At his third time that took almost 800 years from his second banishment, he met with the Invincible Ghost King, Hua Cheng that was feared by all Heavenly Gods but acted differently towards him and lingered him. The journey will be about the task that were given to him that somehow related to the truths of the Heavenly Gods or what has happened all those years and also led him towards his old enemy, White Clothed Calamity or Bai Wu Xiang.

Well, it is indeed very exhausting to summarize the whole 5 Books. But I made it. And I don't know whether it is interesting enough to you or not.

The plot is flowing very smoothly in my opinion. The truth is revealed in right proportion. You can't be helped but gasped every time you find out the truth. Every scene, whatever insignificant it is, will be connected to something that is bigger and related to the main issues. And also, the fluffiness and the romance part that comes unexpectedly but feels remarkable. The romance is very hilarious even if it is such a slow burn. The pace is just perfect.

Regardless, the main couple is indeed invented love. I cannot even categorize if this is a romance book or not, since the romance parts come in such a small amount but it is scattered everywhere. It is INDEED everywhere, even in a dire situation. But it will end up hilarious and you will ask for more. That is why I agree if everyone said that HuaLian (the main couple) invented love. It is as if no one worthy enough to declare such a love unless HuaLian.

For someone making such an adventurous, tragic, roller-coaster of emotion and fluffy story only for creating such a powerful couple of all time, I cannot even easily decide whether it is ONLY romance book. I want to say that this book is not only about love, since this will be not your usual romance book, this is beyond that. For me this is more like a biography of a God and his most devoted Believer. IT IS THAT REAL, in my own perception.


10/10 for Cast
Talking about Main Characters, Xie Lian and Hua Cheng, they are very harmonious towards each other. I cannot really explain more. You will end up falling in love with them and realized that you can't even separate both. 
All character personality is well done written. Since the plot is very well written also, each cast also contributed evenly and proportionally and you will be confused whether any cast is insignificant or not. It is almost that MXTX wouldn't lazily create any cast or scene for waste, truly.

Even talking about the supporting characters, there are truly a lot, but you will end up loving each one by one, even Bai Wu Xiang. Up until now, I cannot even hate Bai Wu Xiang. No one in TGCF that I truly hated, or can be hated. This is typically MXTX. You will end up questioning what is right or wrong, which one is black or white. I cannot even say Xie Lian is so white. Or Hua Cheng, as he is a Ghost King to be black. No, you can't.

And now it is time for me to appreciate each supporting cast. Like Feng Xin and Mu Qing, those two that I thought I would hate them for having bad terms with Xie Lian, but just couldn't because of Nan Feng and Fu Yao (this may be a spolier but I can't help it). Or Shi Qing Xuan and He Xuan, the other "pairing" that I desperately want more stories of them. Then, Qi Rong, the very bastard that I can't help but want to slap-then-hugging him, then Ling Wen and Pei Ming, also Quan Yi Zhen and Yin Yu. Oh God my baby Yin Yu... Then even Bai Wu Xiang, the White Clothed Calamity. The one that even I got goosebumps also like Xie Lian whenever he appeared. But then, after knowing about the Wuyong kingdom, I rethink about how to hate him, it's not entirely his fault, even I pitied him then.

10/10 for Reread Value

Well, will I reread again? Absolutely. I always cited the memorable scene, which is almost everything. Even the most tragic part, the most scene that always made me sobbing hard, that is always reminded me how masochist I am.

10/10 for Music

I am not even lying. Even though this is only a book but since the fandom is huge so there are many fansong created for this one. My favorite? Pleased God, Individual Destinies, and Thousandth Time Fall in Love.

Oh I also did add my own personal favorite songs while reading the book. It turned out effectively creating the right mood and boost the emotion. These songs are in Thai, which unexpectedly very related to the main couple.

พริบตา - In a Blink of Eye by Bird Thongchai & STAMP

 cr:Deungdutjai

*SPOILER ALERT*
Why did I say it's related to TGCF? Because, just because (please come back here once you finished reading), it really portrayed Sanlang (read: Hua Cheng but I love calling him Sanlang since he prefers also) very much. It even mention about "ten of thousands of years", like hell, he is indeed waiting for 800 years, right? Then also "please realize that you have someone saying your name", I want to laugh. How can this be exactly so Sanlang? This is actually what he meant, for being next to Xie Lian in his best or worst, without his own God realized. Suddenly I am so emotional.

But then this song itself is upbeat and lively, as if sung by Sanlang in the present time, smiling to Xie Lian while carrying all the dark past with him. It is painful, you know. This whole book is constantly painful but these sensations are so addictive. Like being stabbed by the same knife countless times in the same part. You would end up smiling bitterly somehow.

ทนได้ทุกที - I Can Endure It Every Time by Matang Radapdao

 cr:Deungdutjai

*ALSO SPOILER*
This is also so much described Xie Lian. His whole 800 years are such constant pains, great turbulences that honed his personality. Like hell who have such a thick face to be ascended then banished then ascended again just to be banished again then ascended again, like is it a joke for him? No, it's not because he's worth it. It is because he endured everything that's why he worthed everything also.

This song is just fit him perfectly. It felt like constant determination to rise again after falling hard, to survive until the end. I love him whole heartedly. He experienced all bitterness and glorious in the world. Somehow I thought he is too pure that I need to protect him, but then he is that great and his survival skills cannot be doubted. I too want to worship him dearly.

One more thing. I appreciate the whole fandom for providing such countless fanarts and specifically for STARember, as the official manhua artist now. STARember illustrates TGCF more beautifully as I can imagine. I ended up sobbing to realize how blessed I am to witness such beauties in this world.

Since I finished the book but cannot move on from the story itself, I am very lucky to have endless TGCF contents everyday. And somehow I always wish to spread this to anyone. IT IS THAT GOOD. I ASSURE YOU.

Lastly, I will put an emoji that will trigger any TGCF enthusiast the pain, but cannot help to giggle also since it is cute but indeed painful. There are many times that I wondered how masochist the fandom are since they (and me also) too much enjoyed being tortured by the aching scenes.

cr:the artist

(I can't help for remembering the scene above but then giggling for Xie Lian expression...)

Goodbye for now and please do try to read it. Try searching for translation by yourself or visit Novelupdates to know where to find them, okay?

From a very proud Fujoshi,
S.