Thursday 28 January 2021

[One Shot] When the World is Against You, I Won't

It was already a lifetime I followed and observed her.

A woman with a hint of bitter smile in her resting face, an owner of eagle-eyed stare and a hunched posture due to her anxiety.

A woman with a troubled mind with nothing clear in her head. The most impulsive person you would meet and an awkward person in nature.

She hugged me from the back, telling that I shouldn't go anywhere.

I reached her arms, and whispered, "I will go nowhere,"

She smiled. She already relieved at my words, without knowing whether it's true or not. But in fact, I wouldn't leave her at all.

I promised to myself, and to her, to always beside her, I would embrace her, no matter what. If anyone said that I was already in love with her, I was, perhaps. I loved her as my own self. I loved her unconditionally.

Even if she didn't love herself either, that's okay. I loved her enough so that nothing would worry her. She could do anything she wanted, and I would always support her.

Her wrongdoings or her wrong choices, those are all okay. Because as long as I believed her, I knew she could correct them all. No matter how long it would take, she would eventually find a way.

After that, she walked away towards a door. I could see her proud and confidence were rising up. I followed her each step, and stood behind her.

"Come in," a man with a black suit was calling to her.

She walked to the place that he pointed.

"Please be seated," said that man, so she did what he said.

After a moment to relax and find a comfort position, she sat straight, and looked at the man with a clear smile.

"Now please explain to us what happened,"

 

"Okay... So he flirted me for about 2 months. I never responded to him and I rejected all the time, but yesterday he held my hand and I didn't like it,"

The whole room was laughing, by listening to her. There was a man in front of her, and 2 more in the couch.

"So you reported the sexual harassment because he touched your hand?" the man that was seating in front of her seemed like the authority here. He was the only one talking from the very first.

She raised her eyebrows, "Every kind of action that made the other parties uncomfortable could be considered as the harassment,"

Men were laughing loud, it's as if her statement was too stupid.

"What are you, a virgin?" the man that was on couch finally talked.

She was too taken aback listening to that. But I could see that she was more startled when everyone in the room was laughing more except her.

"Ma'am," the man in front of her cut the laughter, "Maybe he's not good looking enough for you so you considered it as a harassment. If he's Jacob from PR team, you wouldn't be this extreme, right?"

At that time, she looked angrier when the laughter of men filled the room loudly. "Gentleman, you're not taking this seriously,"

The man in front of her suppressed the urge to laugh more. He only quickly finished the session with a single blow.

"Well, thank you miss for your time, you may leave now,"

She was surely startled and stood up then slammed the desk, "Should I file a report to the police, then?"

"Miss, what is your demand? Will his apology calm your tits?"

Apparently the men in the room were all assholes. Not even one of them would like to settle the issue peacefully.

"Did you know what is our company policy for sexual harassment case?"

She wanted the person to get fired.

The man, the alleged one had been sitting at a distant since earlier. He laughed the loudest. When she looked at her, then he got furious. But again, when he looked at the mediator, he only laughed, as if he knew that would not happen.

"I have witness, your chat, and the voice records, ain't that enough to take to court?" she finally stood straight, when her ace card was revealed. "Oh, I do record our conversation from the first time I walked here," she showed her phones with a proud face.

At the end, she was the one who smiled wider than any person who walked out of the room. And the first thing she did was holding my hand.

"Thank you,"

I smiled. "I did nothing, you're the one who did well," I patted her, "You are doing great,"

It was true she were always doing the best but she never believed in herself. Would she believe me if I say she could even soar high if she had compassion?

She heard that many same reports were not properly taken care of so she decided to prepare herself. It was true that she was harassed by the same person and it was true also that she purposely baited him. If anyone knew what she actually did was to save other female co-workers from that asshole, wouldn't she be considered as a hero?

"What is your dream?" I asked to her.

It seemed that I made the situation too awkward, I should correct my question.

"You looked obviously beyond happy. What made you so happy about? Is that because you can finally save your friends or is it because you can win against bunch of assholes?"

"I am happy because I can finally do justice. since I hate unfairness the most. It's upsetting to know how woman is treated poorly and I want them to pay the price,"

I smiled. "You have my support,"

"Do you?" she doubted me.

"Absolutely," I patted her hand that held me.

We walked side by side to the alley that led us to the exit door. Her confidence slowly piled up and I could see how she walked slightly changed. And I loved this such change.

"You know?" she looked up to me when I opened my voice.

"Hm?"

"I am and will always beside you," I looked at her deeply.

"You have to believe yourself, because I do believe you. You have to stand straight and keep your head up. If things are going wrong, you have to remember this moment. You know how to win and you will find your way to win everything. You just have to be confident and well prepared. You can do it, I know you can,"

"What are you doing now?" she was not used to this situation.

"I am giving my words,"

"You're not going anywhere, aren't you?"

I shook my head. "I'm not going anywhere, you know that,"

She did not believe me at all and it was shown clearly.

"I am telling you, isn't this what you always want to hear? Even if I am not here, I am still with you,"

Then it was her turn to shake her head.

I put my hand on her shoulder. "I am always watching you and I know very well that you never believed in yourself. It's time for me to tell you myself,"

"I believe you," this is what I always tried to tell her, but she only took lightly.

"I never have any grudge to you. I don't even set any expectation of you so you don't need to worry if you upset me. Moreover, I never blame you for everything that we went through,"

"I should say this once again. I trust you wholeheartedly. From now on, let's rely on each other and be proud of your own self,"

"Are you proud of me?" I could see her tears started to flow when she asked.

I nodded passionately, "I am always proud of you,"

I held her arms and started to walk again with her. The way to the exit door was closer.

"You have to remember, from now on, you can be whatever you want since we have each other. Even if the world is against you, I won't, I believe in you,"

I could feel that my walk was lighter the more we stepped. An unusual glimpse of lights started to glance. I held her hands tightly, so did she.

"You always have me, because I am you,"

A big smile was burst out of me. This was the last smile that I could give to her wholly to show how much I was proud of ourselves.

-end